ADA Accessibility Information
Accessibility

A
A

A

By Using the Right Amount of Toothpaste, You Minimize the Chances of Swallowing


Posted on 5/30/2019 by Laura Epifano
By Using the Right Amount of Toothpaste, You Minimize the Chances of SwallowingIf your child swallows a little bit of toothpaste now and again, is it a big deal? In most cases, no, it is not a big deal. However, if they do it regularly, or it is more than a little bit, it could make your child not feel well.

Swallowing toothpaste can leave your child with a stomach ache, which is never fun. If you teach them to use the right amount of toothpaste for their mouth, this can minimize the risks.

How Much Toothpaste is the Right Amount?


For children under a year, using a baby-safe toothpaste, or even water, is plenty to get their tiny teeth clean. You should just touch the baby-safe toothpaste to the brush, leaving little more than a dot of color behind. Once children get into the age range of 1 to 3 years old, you should be using the equivalent of a tiny grain of rice of toothpaste. That is all they need to get their teeth clean.

From 3 to 6 years old, you should go for a full grain of rice-sized dot of toothpaste on their toothbrush each time they brush. This is enough to foam up, which helps get into places they may miss or not get as well. Starting at age six, they can use a small pea sized amount of toothpaste to get their entire mouth clean.

If you teach them young how much toothpaste is enough, they are less likely to use too much and swallow the rest. Make sure to keep an eye on them when brushing to ensure as little gets swallowed as possible. That way, you never have to worry about them getting a stomach ache from something like too much fluoride from their toothpaste. Call us for more information today!
Copyright © 2018-2019 Kids First Pediatric Dentistry and WEO MEDIA. All rights reserved.  Sitemap | Links